Monday, 22 April 2013

Review writing


Writing a review doesn't sound like the hardest assignment in the world but until you think about it properly you don't realise how much goes into it.

I chose to write my gallery review on the exhibition a the Maureen Paley gallery. As stated in my previous blog post on the gallery visit, I found this exhibition the most enjoyable and had a lot to say about it so it seemed like the right thing to review.

The exhibition was one by Anne Hardy so the first thing I did was try and find reviews and articles on Hardy and her works.
I read some interesting journals and chapters about Hardy's latest and past shows that gave me an insight into how she worked and those artists she's similar too which all helped In getting to grips with what  to write In my review.

Charlotte Cotton - 'the photograph as contemporary art'
The hardest thing I found was trying to write In a manor that was unnatural to me. Being able to voice my opinion but without writing In the first person became a challenge throughout the review as I ended up more often than not having to reword my thoughts In order for them not to be In the first person.

In the end I managed to get my review together In a shorter period of time than I had expected and considering I had never attempted to write anything like this before I am pretty pleased with the results.

Photo taken from: Charlotte Cotton, 'the photograph as contemporary art'.

No comments:

Post a Comment