Sunday, 21 April 2013

Analogue Vs Digital


"What role does post production play? Is there a difference between working with chemicals and working in a 'Digital' darkroom as far as the 'Legitimacy' of the final image?
So long as the image hasn't been manipulated in a ny way a good photo is a good photo, regardless of what sort of camera was used to take it. You have to be a lot more resourceful when shooting film. For one you shoot fewer photos, but in doing so I think you learn a lot more about composition, lighting etc. I often wonder how many more photos I would have if I could have shot digital when I first started out? Would i even have pursued photography? Possibly not..." - Ricky Adam


The argument of 'analogue vs digital' is a much debated topic amongst photography. It has been said that the age of analogue photography is/has disappeared. Since the ever evolving digital camera has come on the scene for many using analogue methods are now not necessary or desired. The college I  came from was fortunate enough to have the facilities to work with analogue photography whereas a lot of people I know didn't have this available to them. This is a prime example of how it is disappearing in this now very digital age. 

People argue that it is also a lot easier and cheaper to work in digital, but does this make digital a good thing? 
I enjoyed very much learning about the many different methods of photography, including analogue. It makes you more aware of how things have evolved and also of the technicalities behind much of photography, including digital cameras. 

A series I produced for my first assignment (35mm)
Test shoot from same series using digital.

I think the introduction of digital makes photography more available to the masses. This may not sit well with some as it leads people to think that they are automatically a 'photographer' just as they are able to snap a few photos with their camera. I think this argument is going to be a long an on going one as it seems to be hard for anyone to come to an agreement.

Personally I think it is less to do with the medium you are using to create your photos. Whether you are using digital or analogue methods, it is completely down to the photographer to make this choice due to preference and desired affects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment