Monday, 15 April 2013

East End Gallery Trips


Today we had our second trip to London to look around galleries in order to be able to find an exhibition to review. This trip took us to the East end of London in comparison to the West end galleries we visited on the last trip.


National Maritime Museum

The first place we arrived at in London was the National Maritime Museum. The show we had gone to see was Ansel Adams, PHOTOGRAPHY from the MOUNTAINS to the SEA. Prior to this trip I was aware of Ansel Adams and his works but I was yet to see his work in person. I had been told by many people that going to see Adams' work was an experience but I wasn't sure as to what they meant by this.

The PHOTOGRAPHY from the MOUNTAINS to the SEA exhibition is on at the NMM from November 9th 2012 till April 28th 2013. The exhibition holds over 100 original prints with the only reproduction being "Diamond Cascade, 1920" as the original is in the possession of the Adams' family themselves. The exhibition shows the very small prints all the way to the 3 metre high print. For me, seeing the size and scale of Adams' work is what amazed me the most. The fact that he can produce such large prints at such a high quality. The detail within the prints was just amazing to see first hand.

Fern Spring, Dusk, Yosemite Valley

This print was one of my favourites from this exhibition. The detail, seeing the print in person was just outstanding. You could really feel the movement of the water within the print.

"A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed."
-Ansel Adams

From seeing Adams' prints in person I can now see now, what the F/64 group were trying to achieve in seeing the world 'as it is'. I feel that it captures a moment in time, one of true beauty. Although this point has been widely argued about how much of reality these photos actually show I personally feel that they do a very good job at trying to show what it is they were intended to show.

http://www.rmg.co.uk/visit/events/ansel-adams

No comments:

Post a Comment