The last gallery we visited was the 'White Cube' gallery, Bermondsey. This gallery space is relatively new compared to the other galleries houses around London. It is also the largest of all the gallery spaces. The show we went to view was 'Chuck Close Prints: Process and Collaboration". The show presented a wide variety of Close's work including ones that used different methods such a Etching, Silkscreening and Tapestries amongst others.
![]() |
| Inside the exhibition room. |
Close is known for making pictures of faces, these could originate from photos of his family, or even self portraits. He positions the sitter very close to the camera in order to create a reduced depth of field.
![]() |
| Inside the exhibition room. |
I personally didn't feel like there was enough time left in the day to be able to fully come to grips with some of the methods and ideas behind Close's works. I could of spent much longer looking at each individual image to put together a better understanding of what it was that he was doing. I did despite this however really enjoy this show. I think this is because it's different to anything else I have seen previously. I found it interesting to see the numbers of different methods Close used and the different effects that each produced. Even though I didn't know much about Chuck Close before I could tell just be viewing this show how much time and thought goes in to each singular piece that he puts together. I would be interested in revisiting this show and/or finding out more about the way in which Close works.
Images and text:
whitecube.com/about/
whitecube.com/exhibitions/chuck_close_prints_process_and_collaboration_bermondsey_2013/


No comments:
Post a Comment