Recognition and Reflection book Review
The review I was set to read was Recognition and Reflection by Catherine Grant. This review was based on the work of Rineke Dijkstra, a photographer that I was familiar with, so I thought it would be interesting to see what other critics had said about some of her work.
The review is based around the catalogue that accompanied an exhibition of Dijkstra's work in San Francisco which then moved on to New York. Catherine Grant picked out archived Interviews from the catalogue and essays by curators - Sandra S. Phillips and Jennifer Blessing - which went in to much detail about Dijkstra, her career and influences.
I find it interesting how the catalogue also contains interviews with some of the sitter that Dijkstra has worked with over the past two decades. I think this enables the reader to get an in depth experience of the way Dijkstra works from people who have experienced it first hand that aren't well known in the industry. They experience things in the same way as you and I.
The review is based around the catalogue that accompanied an exhibition of Dijkstra's work in San Francisco which then moved on to New York. Catherine Grant picked out archived Interviews from the catalogue and essays by curators - Sandra S. Phillips and Jennifer Blessing - which went in to much detail about Dijkstra, her career and influences.
I find it interesting how the catalogue also contains interviews with some of the sitter that Dijkstra has worked with over the past two decades. I think this enables the reader to get an in depth experience of the way Dijkstra works from people who have experienced it first hand that aren't well known in the industry. They experience things in the same way as you and I.
![]() |
| Nicky, The Krazyhouse, Liverpool, England, January 19, 2009 |
The interview with van Adrichem talks about the early works of Dijkstra and how a black and white series was once linked to works by Diane Arbus' which lead Dijkstra on to look at her works and in turn take away a lot about the way she works to contribute to the ways of her future works.
"they struck a chord with me. It had to do with the way she observed people: she didn't pin them down. Their identities keep on changing."
Hearing this quote from Dijkstra, talking at the early stages of her work really makes me compare it to the way she works and I think the same impact comes across to me in some of her works too.
One of my favourite quote from Dijkstra in this review is:
"I like to photograph people: the camera is a way to connect with people and to find out who they are and to I relate to them. In the end it's all about recognition and reflection."
One of my favourite quote from Dijkstra in this review is:
"I like to photograph people: the camera is a way to connect with people and to find out who they are and to I relate to them. In the end it's all about recognition and reflection."
Journal SOURCE, Summer 2012, Issue 71

No comments:
Post a Comment